Thursday 23 April 2015

The Tried, the Tested and the Ugly. Product Review; Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Precise Liquid Liner

Greetings Darlings,

I was digging through my makeup box this morning and found a stack of makeup that hasn't even been opened yet. I sat there looking at it thinking "I wonder if this is going to be any good?" and it got me inspired to start reviewing some of the products on here. So here goes nothing...



One of the most iconic and important parts of a Pinup girl's arsenal is the Winged eyeliner. Also called the "Cat Eye", it was first worn by the Egyptians as they believed that it would ward off the "evil eye" and then it was made popular by Hollywood in the 1950's.


Elizabeth Taylor in 'Cleopatra'  1963.

Wings can be an especially hard skill to master, but having the right tools can definitely make a difference. Before I found the product I am going to review, I could spend a good half hour just trying to line and wing my eyes, and in almost every case, my two eyes lacked that all important symmetry. Finding this liner has given me time, confidence, ability, symmetry and my sanity back.




Maybelline Eye Studio® Master Precise™ Liquid Liner. 

"Exclusive felt tip. Never dries. Never drips. Master the redefined line. The next generation of liquid liner is here. Master Precise Ink Pen Liner's exclusive, ultra-thin 0.4mm brush tip supplies continuous flow for smooth, even perfect lines. No drying or skipping. No mess or excess. Ink technology keeps pigments super-saturated. Ophthalmologist tested. Safe for sensitive eyes. Contact lens safe."


My first impression about this product occurred before I had even opened it. Maybelline have cleverly packaged these pointing downwards so that usual liquid liner annoyance of having a dried-out tip wasn't even an issue. Kudos for the ingenuity there Maybelline! After ripping open the clever cookie packaging, I pulled the liner out to give it a good inspection, and actually found getting the lid off quite hard compared to other liners. It may sound like a disadvantage but I like to think of this more as a benefit, a tighter fitting lid means a tighter seal, which means better longevity for the product. After a couple sets of biceps curls, my arms were primed and ready to take on the big task of de-lidding the liner, which turned out to be a much easier task than I had exaggerated it to be in my imagination. Putting my dumbbells down, I popped the lid and was quite surprised and amused by how much it actually resembled a fine-point Sharpie marker pen. I held the tip to the inner top corner of my right eye (right eye seems to be the braver of the two) and slowly but surely began to draw a line. The color was bold, black and flowed freely and confidently, even over the top of shimmer eyeshadow which is quite notorious for drinking up liquid liners and turning them into lumps and bumps. I carried my line out to the outer corner of my eye, and after a few false starts due to the fear of a bad Wing, I finally ventured out into the space I like to call 'Dead Eye Land', where there are no other products to disguise or camouflage mistakes and mishaps. To my utter surprise, I managed an almost-perfect cat eye with little effort or confidence in my abilities. It's like the liner just knew what I wanted, and did it. I put this down to beginner's luck and decided to try out my left eye (also known as being the crazy, weeping ticking time-bomb eye) and again, the liner decided to show off. Another easy, even, dark wing appeared, and in perfect symmetry to the first wing. So either Maybelline has implanted a super smart microchip that creates perfectly even and simple winged lines, or this liner is just incredibly easy to use. I'll leave the conclusion up to you...

This is me wearing Maybelline's Master Precise liquid liner. This Wing only took me 30 seconds to create. Small miracle!


I would recommend this product to anyone wanting to begin or improve their Cat Eye lining skills, or just anyone wanting a liquid liner that's simple and quick to use. I haven't ventured into intricate designs or decorative patterns yet, but from my own experience with the product, and after reading several other reviews, I am quite confident that when I do, they will be just as stress-free and fun to create. Maybelline has put together a smart little liner, one that I am willing and happy to use on a daily basis.

Until next time,
Adios darlings xx

No comments:

Post a Comment