Monday 13 April 2015

Makeup Glorious Makeup


Greetings darlings,

Today I want to talk about makeup, especially my own personal history and application of pinup makeup.

No vintage girl is quite complete without it. Makeup has the power to completely transform and enhance a girl's natural beautiful features. It's all about learning what works best for you and as cliché as it is, perfection comes down to practice practice practice.

When I first started dabbling with pinup-inspired makeup, just wearing red lippy felt like a giant leap out of my comfort zone. It's incredibly intimidating to walk around with a bright red pout. I would receive so many comments about it, a majority of which were positive. So as my confidence grew, my curiosity and creativity grew too. I invested in a liquid eyeliner and begin practicing the infamous wings. My first attempts were almost failures and not too flattering, as you'll see in the photo below.


I think my face says it all.

As I practiced, my lines became steadier and more even, i began to realise what suited my face shape and colour tone and what i felt comfortable wearing where and when. Makeup started to become another accessory to my outfits, a confidante that kept my acne and sleepless nights a secret and another platform for self expression.


Practice at home meant more confidence in public. 

I work in a cafe throughout the week and so my makeup needs to be durable and a bit more subtle than I'd usually wear. I often follow the golden rule about enhancing only one of my features, so if i wear my signature red lipstick, my eyes usually only receive a coat of mascara. It's a balancing act when you're trying to keep to a more everyday-look. However, I believe it's very important to always have great eyebrows. They can change your entire face, either for the good or bad. My face just doesn't feel complete if I don't give my brows any attention. 


The difference between made up eyebrows and natural.

Eyebrows can be tricky and quite time-consuming as symmetry is essential. I use a brow gel and a tiny artist's paintbrush to create the outer lines and shape of my brows, and then use a powder to fill them in. If I'm going to be out and about, I often set my brows using a clear mascara. You have to make sure you brush the mascara into the hairs otherwise you'll end up with stringy looking brows which can ruin all of your hard work. If I'm really pushed for time, I'll just use my brow powder (eyeshadow works also) to fill my brows in.

Lipstick was quite tricky to begin with also, especially when using a dark or bold color. Any mistakes or imperfections become abundantly obvious. A little trick I use is starting inside my natural lip line and building out. I use small feathery strokes and blend them all together. As my top lip is on the thin side, I often enhance it by applying liner on the very outside edge of my natural line. When applying to the Cupid's bow, i create an X so ensure symmetry. I fill the entire lip in with liner before applying lipstick. To create a more lush look, I dab a little shimmer to the middle of my bottom lip and then coat my lips in clear gloss. if i make a mistake or apply too far out of my lip line, I use a little brush and apply concealer to remove and cover the errors. It also helps to create a more defined look. My favorite color to wear is of course red, however I've also started dabbling with even darker and bolder shades like chocolate brown. 


Chocolate brown lippy can be a scary color to start with but it creates such a beautifully dramatic look. 

Makeup can be quite daunting to begin with, but the more you play around with it, the more confident you'll feel in it. Start with baby steps, maybe just buy your own red lipstick and build from that just as I did. Never feel intimidated or ashamed to try new things. Life is all about showing the world who we are as individuals, so if your makeup makes you feel different to the world around you, celebrate that. Enjoy being the unique beautiful women that you are!

If you have any tips,tricks or photos you'd like to share, please by all means leave them in the comments. I'd love to see them. 

Until next time, 
Adios darlings xx

No comments:

Post a Comment