Sunday 12 April 2015

In The Beginning (Ode to Bravery Red)



Greetings darlings!

I'm Petunia, also known as Miss Luna La Vida. I'm a 27 year old pinup-model-wannabe from a tiny little town in the North Island of New Zealand.

Where I live, pinup and rockabilly are merely a Halloween or 50's party dress up theme. So you can imagine the looks i get when i walk around my small hometown dressed up in my vintage-inspired wardrobe. It's incredibly confronting and intimidating to be so different in a world where being the same is not only encouraged but sometimes necessary.

I've always been a bigger girl and my fashion sense has never been one of public conformity or relevance. Actually, I never really had a fashion sense. I liked dressing girly, but couldn't break my jeans habit, so my look was confused and mix-matched, just like my feelings towards myself.

Blue haired with my little brother.

On my 27th birthday i drove myself up to the big city (Auckland) with hair bluer than my eyes, and a feeling that my life was slowly starting to change. I was lucky enough to have a custom tattoo created by the lovely Amy Trouble  (@amytrouble) and when i returned home from my solo birthday celebration weekend, i felt changed. I brought my first red lipstick. I never used it. And eventually it became lost in the abyss that was my bedroom.

My custom tattoo by Amy Trouble. A tribute to my Nan (pictured).


Christmas 2014, I'm potentially unemployed, newly homeless and feeling absolutely horrendous about myself and my life. When packing my things i find my red lipstick. I put it on. And for some strange reason i had a burst of courage flash through me. I called it my Bravery Red. And from then on, whenever i felt unsure or nervous or scared, I'd grab that red lippy and give myself that unexplainable, magical boost of courage. With the red lips came the winged eyeliner, then the circle skirts, cigarette pants, petticoats and more hair accessories than, well, a hair accessory shop lol

A hairpiece I created. 


Nearly a year later and my wardrobe looks like half of it was transplanted from the 1950's, I own about 20 different red lippys and my style is distinctly pinup. What started out as just a simple, impulse-buy red lipstick, became a way of life. I feel beautiful and confident and capable of anything and everything every time i step out the front door now. My whole life has changed for the better. I learnt how to love myself through the inspiration of the past. And i owe it all to a lipstick; Bravery Red.


My very first vintage-inspired photo wearing Bravery Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment